Moving into a new home? Congrats! You may be wondering what technical tasks need to be done to turn the house into your home…let me help! Take a look at the new homeowner’s checklist below!
- Research utility providers and organize the start date of your gas, water, and electric services. (Check out my blog on how to choose an electricity provider here.)
- Find your instruction manuals for systems and appliances. (Typically these will be left in a drawer in the kitchen. If not, ask your real estate agent where they might be.)
- Locate and label your main circuit breaker.
- Learn how to work your thermostat and program accordingly.
- Learn how to work your security system and program accordingly. (If you don’t already have one, research security systems and cameras for your new home.)
- If you have small children, install outlet covers.
- File a change of address with USPS and the IRS.
- Change your billing address with your bank. (Be sure to also update any profiles with companies you have on automatic draft.)
- Update your license, registration, and voter registration card.
- Meet your neighbors!
- If applicable, find out what day your garbage will be collected.
- Find your gas and water meters.
- Develop a family escape plan in case of fire.